Home > Route Selection
Below are the US Highways I have traveled. Select a highway below to learn more.
- US 1 - Maine to Florida - I drove US 1 initially in 1993, and then returned on various trips between 1995 and 1998 to photograph the route.
- US 2 - Maine to Washington - I drove the eastern section of US 2, from Maine to New York in 1989, not realizing the western section existed. I drove the western section, from Michigan to Washington, in 1994. Between 1996 and 1998, I returned a few times to photograph the route.
- US 3 - New Hampshire to Massachusetts - I drove US 3 from New Hampshire to Massachusetts in 1989, returning in the late 1990s to photograph the route.
- US 4 - New Hampshire to New York - My trip on US 4 from New Hampshire to New York was also in 1989. The photographs were taken in the late 1990s on various trips through New England.
- US 5 - Vermont to Connecticut - Another of the shorter routes, I drove US 5 from Vermont to Connecticut in 1989. I had a run-in with the Border Patrol when I returned to photograph the route in the late 1990s.
- US 6 - Massachusetts to California - This is the first route I drove end to end, from Massachusetts to California, in 1988. I photographed the route on a few different trips between 1996 and 1998.
- US 7 - Vermont to Connecticut - I drove US 7 from Vermont to Connecticut in 1989. The photographs were taken over many years; the most recent is from last year.
- US 8 - Michigan to Minnesota - I drove from Michigan to Minnesota on US 8 in 1995. This is the first route I photographed while on my initial trip.
- US 9 - New York to Delaware – This was the last of the “short New England” routes that I drove in 1989 and 1990. The photographs were taken on multiple trips in the mid-1990s.
- US 10 - Michigan to North Dakota – The evening ferry ride across Lake Michigan was especially memorable. At one time, US 10 continued to Washington.
- US 11 - New York to Louisiana – I hit a snowstorm in Pennsylvania when I drove this route in April 1996.
- US 12 - Michigan to Washington – This was one of my many trips during the summer of 1996. The Dakotas, Montana, and Idaho were especially memorable.
- US 13 - Pennsylvania to North Carolina – This was the first route I drove with my wife, and the last one I drove without initially taking any photographs.
- US 14 - Illinois to Wyoming – This is a good trip for the “Little House on the Prairie” fans. It also goes through some really beautiful parts of Wyoming.
- US 15 - New York to South Carolina – This was another one of my summer 1996 trips.
- US 16 - South Dakota to Wyoming – The route is now just a shadow of its former self, but still offers some exceptional scenery.
- US 17 - Virginia to Florida – This was the first full trip I took with my wife, in December of 1996.
- US 18 - Wisconsin to Wyoming – We took this ride through America’s heartland in 1998.
- US 19 - Pennsylvania to Florida – We took this autumn ride through the Appalachians in 1998 also.
- US 20 - Massachusetts to Oregon – This was our first transcontinental trip, visiting many exciting places in the summer of 1999.
- US 21 - Virginia to South Carolina – This is another route that was greatly truncated over the years.
- US 22 - New Jersey to Ohio – Driving this route became a nice weekend trip for us in 2000.
- US 23 - Michigan to Florida – We drove this route in the spring of 2001.
- US 24 - Michigan to Colorado – We drove this route in the summer of 2002, and got our picture on the front page of a local Kansas newspaper.
- US 25 - Kentucky to Georgia – Fall 2001 was the first time our son, then only 3 months old, joined us on a road trip.
- US 26 - Nebraska to Oregon – In 2003 we took this trip through the mountainous West.
- US 27 - Indiana to Florida – We drove all the way to northern Michigan to begin this trip, not realizing the route had been truncated to Indiana a few years earlier.
- US 28 - This route no longer exists. At one time, it crossed Oregon.
- US 29 - Maryland to Florida – We took this trip through the South in 2003.
- US 30 - New Jersey to Oregon – Another addition to the family joined us on this 2 week trip from ocean to ocean in 2004.
- US 31 - Michigan to Alabama – We covered this route on another one of our trips in 2003.
- US 32 - This route no longer exists. At one time it stretched from Illinois to Iowa.
- US 33 - Indiana to Virginia - We drove this route in 2005. It's the first route that I drove primarily west to east.
- US 34 - Illinois to Colorado - We took this ride in 2005 just as gasoline prices broke $3.00 per gallon for the first time. The route starts at what was once US 66, and ends after a breathtaking drive through Rocky Mountain National Park.
- US 35 - Indiana to West Virginia - We drove this route in 2006.
- US 36 - Ohio to Colorado - Our second trip in 2006.
- US 37 - This route was proposed to go from Indiana to Tennessee, but it does not exist today.
- US 38 - This route no longer exists. At one time it crossed Nebraska and Colorado.
- US 39 - 39 is one of the few two-digit numbers that was never assigned to a road.
- US 40 - New Jersey to Utah - In 2007 we took this trip down the old National Road.
- US 41 - Michigan to Florida - We spent more than a week on US 41 in 2009.
- US 42 - Ohio to Kentucky - A springtime ride from Cleveland to Louisville.
- US 43 - Tennessee to Alabama - Completed in 2010 on the same trip as US 42.
- US 44 - Massachusetts to New York - This was a short weekend ride through New England in July 2008.
- US 45 - Michigan to Alabama - Some tense moments getting to and from the route, but a great drive in between in August 2011.
- US 46 - New Jersey - This was a short one-day ride across this one-state US highway in October 2008.
- US 47 - There has never been a US 47.
- US 48 - Virginia to West Virginia - A short one-day ride across the still unfinished US 48 in June 2012.
- US 49 - Arkansas to Mississippi - The first route to take us into Arkansas, completed in August 2013.
- US 50 - Maryland to California - A transcontinental trip in August 2014.
- US 51 - Wisconsin to Louisiana - A late summer trip from Lake Superior to Lake Pontchartrain in 2015.
- US 52 - South Carolina to North Dakota - A diagonal journey across the country in 2016.
- US 101 - Washington to California - We drove this route, clearly out of sequence, in 1997. B&Bs were the lodging of choice on this trip.
Welcome Page | Site Map
If you have any questions / comments / corrections for this website or find a broken link, please e-mail me.
Copyright 2005-2017 by Robert Mortell